Thursday, July 07, 2005

Bombings in London Shock the Country

I heard about this on the radio, apparently about 2 hours after it happened. What I heard at first was, without the location listed, that a double-decker bus had exploded. I thought immediately of the double decker buses that have been transporting protesters from cities such as Edinburgh and Glasgow to protests in Dungavel and Gleneagles. I was almost relieved at first to hear that this happened in London.

But then I thought twice, and remembered how the attacks on September 11th were used to increase "security" and repression of dissent and protest movements in the US. The timing of this, when people are variously protesting and imprisoned all over Scotland, which is in the UK, is terrible.

Apparently all that is known right now is that an "Islamist website" has taken responsiblity for the blasts. Could be Chechen, Palestinian, Iraqi, or....?

I hear that Tony Blair is going to return to London for part of the day and go back to Gleneagles tonight.