Saturday, December 17, 2005

Just what is it about this time of year?

Is it the solstice coming? Is it just a coincidence that I have more energy for the garden?

Lately I've been obsessing about cover crops and sunchokes. I went through most of the garden and dug up the sunchokes the last two Sundays (I probably should have left some more of them in the gound). I worked on the compost the last two days (boy, did it need it!), and I bought cover crop seeds. I dug up bermuda grass in a ~8x4 foot area yesterday, and tried to dig up some of the grass in the lot next door. Whew, that is hard work- it's years and years and years of composting grass, holding that soil down tight. but there are lots of wormies in there. So even if where I dug is where the cadmium is, it's still fairly fertile.

I guess I am going to go out there in a few minutes. It's raining out and I have a sore throat, but does that stop me? No. It must be the Solstice or the full moon that was this week...But I should get those sunchokes back in the ground, and maybe plant potatoes that will die because of the cold weather...and I will sprinkle lots of clover seed...