Saturday, December 10, 2005

Oh, god...

Something I realized tonight was that Danny might be stuck in jail forever. I mean, I guess that right now he must be in some sort of federal jail cell (or on a plane on the way to one, since he didn't get bail in NYC). And in this kind of limbo, he probably doesn't get outside at all- no walks or anything. No books. Can't cook for himself. Could conceivably never cook for himself again. (We used to talk about recipes and herbal remedies and things, so this is heartbreaking to me)

I keep thinking about things to send him to read. And pictures or whatever. And about writing to him. I've never written to a political prisoner before- at first I was too shy, but that faded and now I'm too paranoid (they read everyone's mail, ya know). But I think it's different when it's someone who you know.

Hopefully he won't be convicted, and he'll be set free and can return to his life. But what if he's not, or it's not soon? Will his partner lose her apartment? If he is convicted, will he be allowed to have a garden if he wants one? If he gets out, will he still have a job/would he be able to get another?

And some people worry that he or the others could snitch (in exchange for hints of lesser charges or recommendation for shorter sentences). Or make things up about people, or be forced to like, list everyone they know or something. We have to hope that that kind of pressure isn't being put on any of them, and that they are all strong enough to resist.

I hope he's ok.