Saturday, October 15, 2005

Rest in peace, Lennox Sweeney

I was so upset tonight when I read this email. I guess I didn't see it when it came in last night because it would have come when I was doing my physical therapy exercises and trying to get my butt to bed. I didn't get to check my email one last time before bed because the power went out and stayed out for 17+ hours.

This email is about an activist from San Jose- Lennox Sweeney. I knew him from the October 22nd Coalition (and I guess from Mumia work as well). He was the sweetest, gentlest, most patient man. He used to drive up from San Jose for O22 meetings in San Francisco every week-- painful, 3 and 4 hour meetings.

I guess that Lennox died this week from a brain aneurism. What a shame. There will be some kind of memorial service for him sometime soon.

I might have tried to go to the vigil, had I known about it in advance.

Honor the memory of Lennox Sweeney by doing what he would be doing tomorrow:

Saturday Peace Vigil
October 15, 12:00 noon

at the corner of
Stevens Creek & Winchester, San Jose

End the War & Occupation!
Bring the Troops Home Now!

-------------
This email message was sent by Lennox to the SBM list last week.
From: Lennox Sweeney
To: sbm@lists.riseup.net; VFP 101
Subject: [SBM] Help - Winchester peace vigil
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:40:36 -0700

Attendence at the Saturday/Sunday peace vigil at Winchester and Stevens Creek has
fallen to about 2-3. David Ledesma, the mainstay of this vigil, is off to Hawaii
this weekend and next for a mix of business and pleasure.

I feel a little awkward out there alone and would appreciate any support. I'll be
out from 11:30 to 1:30 Saturday and Sunday, Oct 8, 9, 15, 16 (and beyond) with some
extra signs.

(This location has good visibility and LOTS of cars)

Yes, Lennox, we will be there this Saturday, 10/15/05
to Honor your Spirit of Joy and Resistance to WAR!

Note: Lennox Sweeney passed away on Thursday, October 13, 2005.
Diane of VFP 101, sent out this email on October 13, 2005:

Subj: [peace-council] VFP member Lennox Sweeney has left us
Date: 10/13/2005 3:50:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time

We sure will miss him.

At 1:45 pm today, October 13, 2005, our wonderful Lennox Sweeney was taken off life
support. He was surrounded by love and friends holding his hand when he passed
quietly a few minutes later.

As a very active member of Veterans for Peace, Lennox sometimes seemed to be
everywhere, with his signs and his car prominently covered with bumper stickers.

If you missed the previous e-mail, Lennox suffered a brain aneurysm yesterday
morning. He spent the day in ICU on life support, and today's action was pretty much
expected.

When I think of Lennox, I picture him always smiling.

A party to celebrate his life is being planned, possibly for the weekend after
Veterans' Day.

Sharon Kufeldt can be contacted with questions about any of this - 650-799-1070.

"This is the true joy in life- the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself
as a mighty one: The 'being' a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little
clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself
to making you happy."
George Bernard Shaw




----------------------------------------
(South Bay Mobilization)
Our postal address is
P.O. Box 641163
San Jose, California 95164
United States