Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Down with the Bobetariat!

Ok, I have had it. Rita called me tonight and told me that she has decided to pay someone to work on the O22 website.

i am learning how to use drupal in my free time, but for now the local October 22nd website looks pretty bad. Well, it is coming along. Rita has decided to pay a guy to work on it. i don't know anything about css, so if he is a professional web designer and can deal with the drupal shit or just redesign it from scratch, whatever. Why didn't she have him do it from the beginning? I often serve in this role of getting things started, and then the people who should have been doing them from the beginning cuz they are good at them take over and things look better. Sounds good, right?

She is going to pay him one day's salary from her job, with her own money. He will work on our local site and the national site, which is down in part because it was hacked. Ha!

Anyhow, he is a refuse and resist and rcp person, so again everything stays in the hands of the party. FUCK THAT.

My other problem with her decision is: If only we could all get paid to do activism. I don't even make enough most months to pay my rent. And I spend so much of my free time on this shit...anyhow...

How do you disassociate yourself from a group, but not from the work that you do?

I told ibm my predicament and he said, "there are other organizations in the bay area doing anti-police brutality work." I think the answer to this is to stop doing what I was doing. nobody does quite what i was doing, in terms of pulling together all this stolen lives stuff, but junya or someone can jump in, i guess...i suppose i will wrap some things up and tell her in person sometime soon. i have to give her back some things. so i guess i should wait to tell her in person? maybe i should just get thru what i can tomorrow and just stop.

i do like to (do outreach) table(s), but not by myself and all that like yesterday. i miss organizing, but lately i have been wondering if i am not good at it, or if i am out of the habit, or what. i want to work with people plural, not work for fucking rita. i complained to stephanie yesterday. she is the head of the rcp in sf- afaik, cuz she was. she brushed me off. she said something like, "we have different priorities at different times." if i could start the coalition over without the rcp...but no.

Did I mention that yesterday when rita was on stage talking about the coalition's work, she had a big roll of world can't wait stickers and she said something at the end of her speech about world can't wait? ARGH!