Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I just finished reading ANOTHER book!

I just finished reading the book Yo! by Julia Alvarez. It was a bit hard to get into at first, especially since it has been like 6 months since I read How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents. It's not just that- sometimes she writes from the perspective of an Anglo-American but the phrases that they say are Englishisms of Spanish language idioms! It gets me a bit confused and makes me wish I were reading the book in Spanish, even though it was written in English.

The book is about Yo (pronounced "Jo," or Yolanda (although yo means I in English, which attests to the biographical nature of this book and the one that preceded it). Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different person in Yo's life. I particularly enjoyed some chapters, such as the one by the maid's daughter, and her own mother, and...the best chapter was the stalker. It was the second to last chapter, with the last chapter being her dad tying everything back together. Her loved ones make her out to be the most inconsistent person around (more so than me!), so the structure makes sense. I would recommend this book to people more for the structure than for the writing or the story itself.