Thursday, September 01, 2005

Isn't it just awful?

So y'all should read this blog regularly: The Interdictor. Updates from New Orleans.

I have hardly watched the news about this situation all week, because it is just so unbearably awful. I mean, so many people are homeless, jobless, etc. now. Yesterday on Talk of the Nation I heard them say that some people are posting to New Orleans Craig's List from several states away to say that they will take people in. Isn't that sweet? Esp. when they write from states that don't have a lot of people of color. Heh. Much better than the demonization of people looting in N.O. I mean, hello, most people only have emergency rations for a day or two, if they have any. So they need to loot so they have water and food! And batteries for their radios.

Something that makes me mad about all this is our focus on New Orleans- I think it's because it's the city that white folks have heard of. What will become of Mardi Gras? Maybe Berkeley Mardi Gras will become a more important celebration now...ah, the wingnuttiness. Or maybe it will be way different next year.

But anyhow, that whole region is really poor, right? Who is going to get those people's stories out? I want to go interview people and take pictures!!! Oh, btw, New Orleans Indymedia is being updated more now.

Anyhow, I have to go clean the house of an insurance adjustor lawyer guy. I guess he will be out of town all fall after this, as soon as he can go assess the monetary damages.