Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wow, has it been a whole week already?

Here's something that I was writing to Bradley tonight:

did i tell you that someone from my high school found me on myspace this week? scary. but she was a friend of mine from homeroom, so it's cool. [that's jodi] i guess. but it's hard to explain to people who don't live 3000 miles from where they grew up, what it's like to... always want to leave, then be stuck there for 4 years of college, and to finally get away and have a whole new life... at the same time as all that, i often feel like i live in a form of exile, because i never have money to go back.

i wrote my big paper my sr year of college about queer women writing about exile. latin american women. from the southern cone, more specifically. in spanish.
---

It's weird, because everyone at our high school wanted to get the fuck out of that town. And so many people didn't. There were these kids from my sister's year who all wanted to go to NYU. I think the only person I knew who went to NYU was a kid from BAGLY who became a ho in New York. The rumor that Leonardo DiCaprio goes to gay bars came from him (that's what Paul said, anyhow). My sister still lives with my mother, and she's almost 29! I mean, it's one thing to stay if everything's cool and you like inherit a house or whatever, but...ugh!

So it was nice to hear from Jodi and get to see her myspace and see that she does rad shit, even if it is in that horrible suburb that she doesn't mind. That I'd like to go visit for a day or 3. but I'd stay in Cambridge/Somerville, of course. Which reminds me of all the weddings I haven't been able to go to because of the lack of $$$. And the activism and cat drama and whatever else is going on in my life.

Let's see if I can remember the books I wrote about senior year.
Cristina Peri Rossi's La nave de los locos (Ship of Fools in English version) and En breve carcel by Silvia Molloy. I wish I could remember the title in English- it's such a great book. La nave de los locos was kind of wingnutty, but also a cool read. I miss reading Latin American literature. But do I miss it enough to get a Master's in it?

That's not the question. The questions are, who would pay for it, and what would I do with such a degree?