Friday, August 04, 2006

(untitled)

So...It's been a month since I was last at the farm, I think. Chris was sick, really, sick, this month. He had West Nile (2nd case in his county) and meningitis. He was admitted to the hospital on the day they figured out about the meningitis, and his fever went right down, thankfully. But man, it took a long time for him to get any help. And he didn't have a phone, and Shelley's phone ran out of minutes during that time, so there was no way to get the latest news about him-- until he was in the hospital and had a phone there.

There was a crazy heat wave in July-- on one day, it was 103 outside and Chris's temperature was 104. Jeez.

Herman said that the beans are dying, because there is too much boron in the water (corrected this from soil to water). Fava beans and peas can grow ok with the boron, but not things like green beans (aww!) or cow peas (yucky).

Last Sunday Z and I went to bring our compost to the community garden. I ended up staying there for 6 hours, with a brief break for lunch. I worked on the compost. Worked and worked and worked. And I looked at the duckies a lot. Apparently the time I went over and it seemed like there was only 1 duck, the mama must have been sitting on her eggs. Folks say that she hatched 12, and (as of Sunday) 6 survived. Paul brought over a generator and a pump, and we pumped water out of their swimming ponds so we'd be able to give them clean water to swim in and drink. I'm extra-worried about the mosquito question now (well, i always was), but giving them fresh water probably doesn't do much to help with that problem. Those little duckies are so cute!

I gave tours to some people, and I was so negative...I feel bad, but then again, I don't.

Since I hadn't planned on hanging out at the garden for very long, I didn't wear a hat. This was a bad idea. I got probably the worst sunburn of my adult life. I am still peeling.

I'm trying to get a blog at http://www.thepatientsblog.com, but it's hard to get confirmation emails at hotmail accounts these days.

I have a wicked g-i bug. I was really freaked out about germs around the house last night, but who knows where it came from.

I started going to the gym again, i think this has been my 4th week. I started lifting last week, and I've been using the rowing machine a few times a week this whole month. It sucks, cuz every time I don't go for a day, I feel really bad about myself, and I miss the exercise. Don't know if I'll be able to go today! I haven't been swimming at all, partly cuz I am doing cardio (machines) to build up endurance, and partly cuz I don't want to get all used to swimming before they close the lap pool for 3 weeks for renovations. I have such a love/hate relationship with the gym, cuz I always pick up terrible germs there.

My other personal update is that my vacuum is no longer usable, so I am still trying to decide if/how/when to go out of business.